Home About Me Products Freebies Image Map

December 11, 2012

Poinsettias and Post-Bathtime Nuttiness

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my students will be spending the next few days, learning about holiday traditions in other countries. Tomorrow, we'll be reading The Legend of the Poinsettia and making our own flowers. Usually, I don't enjoy crafty-type activities in the classroom (I'm too much of a control freak, and crafts are just so doggone messy!). But I love the idea of learning about another country's customs and making a Christmas ornament to give parents as a gift at the same time. I made this model this evening to use tomorrow as an example for my students, and I asked KShaf what he thought it was. He studied it for a moment, and then replied (very hesitantly), "Um, a flower?" Hello! It's clearly a poinsettia. I mean, right?


I couldn't resist sharing this goofy pic of Deedle after his bath the other evening. Clearly, he gets his gift for wacky faces from me.


Things To Get Done Before December 18th
  • second quarter interims (haven't started them, and they go home on Thursday...yikes!)
  • grade Unit 4 math tests (giving Unit 5 test tomorrow...guess I'd better get on that!)
  • finish planning Holidays Around the World unit
  • wrap a bazillion gifts (including ones for my Room Mother, my children's teachers and teacher's assistants, bus drivers, and daycare provider)
  • make and package Chex mix to give as gifts
  • hang ribbons on the super-cute ornaments the kids made over the weekend
  • have Princess A address 21 holidays cards for her classmates (yes, I'm lazy and I don't want to address them myself...plus, it's great fine motor skill practice!)
  • wrap Deedle's gift for his class holiday book exchange
  • buy chips for Princess A's holiday program/party on Monday
Holy Mary, looking at that list exhausts me. As soon as I get everything on that list done, it will be time to start packing for Pennsylvania.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, that list makes me want to go take a nap. You may have mine beaten (although not by much). At least I have 4 days without kids underfoot to do the final shopping and wrapping. The tree is bought and up, but not yet decorated. But I love finding a beautiful Frasier Fir for half of what we'd usually pay for it. Score!

    ReplyDelete