Home About Me Products Freebies Image Map

August 23, 2013

Room Reveal

After spending a good part of last week and this week in my classroom, it is finally done! I'm really glad that I got a head start on printing and laminating this summer; otherwise, I would never have finished on time!

This is the view from my classroom door. I am so glad that I decided to order ceiling decorations from Party City...I think they make the room a lot cozier!

This is the area above my cubbies. I love being able to display family photos and teaching tchotchkes.

Aaahhhhh...my desk. It may not look like much, but I like to keep it simple. It's the only space in my entire classroom that is totally mine


This is the sweet saying that I have framed on my desk. Click on the pic above to go to the original source.

Organizational heaven. Love, love, love. This 3-drawer Sterilite treasure sits on wire shelves behind my desk.

These are my Science and Language Arts focus boards. Above both boards, I've posted addition strategies that I bought here. Below, I've posted my students' birthdays.

My calendar area. Even though Common Core doesn't emphasize money in first grade, I feel like I still need to expose my students to the concept.

Curtains!!!! Yay! These were so simple and inexpensive to make and they look super cute. Check out my tutorial for making them!

This is my Writing focus board. I covered the front of my air conditioning unit in black butcher paper, and the posters you see are my 6+1 Writing Traits posters (one of my top sellers on TPT).

I always have a tough time figuring out how to utilize my cabinet doors. So, I downloaded some great (FREE!!) teaching quotes and sayings from Technology Rocks. Seriously, and I framed them in 8 1/2 by 11 document frames that I got from Dollar Tree. I used clear 3M hooks and ribbon to hang them.

Here's my behavior clip chart. I backed it on black and white polka dot ribbon (imagine that!), and I made the clips by decoupaging clothespins with scrapbook paper. Then, I hot glued my kiddos' names on. 

My finished reading nook! I'm loving the aqua blue theme! (Also, mini clothespins are my new obsession.) The kid-sized Adirondack chairs were only $4.99 at Walmart.

This is my class job bulletin board. Since the pennant banner was already yellow and black, I decided to go with a bee theme for the board. I still have to finish the kids' clips this weekend. The baskets underneath are for math small groups.

Thanks, Miss Nelson, for the adorable transportation display!

And, finally...

This is the front of my classroom. My very sweet colleague gave me this adorable rug (I had been toying with the idea of buying one, but I was too doggone cheap!). I'm loving the Wow Work! display for student work.

Phew! I still have a lot of odds and ends to finish up this weekend (including getting ready for a new little one who was just added to my list this afternoon). But, I'm feeling pretty good about the school year starting on Tuesday. Monday is Meet the Teacher, and I'm really looking forward to putting names to some adorable faces. In the meantime, I think I've earned myself a glass of Barefoot Chardonnay. Have a great (and relaxing) weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love your reading nook! Who wouldn't want to read a book there!

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie,

    Your room looks GREAT! I love the polka dots!! It all really looks inviting and organized! Enjoy your weekend and have a great first week of school!
    Laura ~ First Grade Spies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks absolutely amazing! The students are going to love chairs in the reading area! Love all the bright pops of color! Have a great first week of school :)

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow Me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so cute! And you know I love the polka dots. :-) So, in all of your copious spare time, would you like to come organize and polka-dot my house? :-)

    ReplyDelete